In this episode, Dr. Rhonda Patrick discuss all things vitamin C. This episode covers oral bioavailability, intravenous vitamin C bioavailability, immune cell function, common cold and other viral infections, lung function, sepsis, pneumonia, inflammation, intravenous vitamin C and cancer, role in exercise, safety concerns, and so, so much more!
Episode Timeline (abridged)
- 00:07:33 - Background on vitamin C
- 00:17:09 - Bioavailability of vitamin C [including dosing frequency]
- 00:22:53 - Vitamin C in the context of the common cold
- 00:28:09 - Vitamin C and lung function
- 00:35:54 - Vitamin C in the context of exercise [includes discussion of blunting of exercise adaptation]
- 00:45:51 - Vitamin C and fatty acid oxidation, including relevance in obesity
- 00:48:44 - Vitamin C and the brain
- 00:51:15 - Intravenous Vitamin C and its use for the treatment of certain kinds of infection
- 00:55:33 - Intravenous Vitamin C and cancer
- 00:57:40 - Effect of Vitamin C on fertility and reproduction
- 00:58:36 - Intravenous vitamin C and cardiovascular health
- 01:00:42 - Vitamin C and inflammation
- 01:02:38 - Vitamin C’s mechanisms of action
- 01:08:34 - Intravenous and Oral vitamin C safety
- 01:10:20 - Vitamin C intake and kidney stone risk
- 01:13:57 - Conclusions
Get the full timeline, show summary, and all references for this episode by clicking here.
View our new 28-page vitamin C overview article with over 190 references by clicking here.
Premium membership: Members enjoy extra science emails twice per month, my monthly Question & Answer sessions, and a whole lot more. Support the show and get cool perks, that's the bottom line. Click here to learn more about premium membership.
Direct download: vitamin_c.mp3
-- posted at: 11:48am EDT