Stuart Phillips, PhD, is a professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, where he also serves as the director of the Physical Activity Centre of Excellence. His research centers on the roles exercise and nutrition play in influencing human skeletal muscle protein turnover and how these lifestyle factors influence body composition, especially as we age.
In this episode, we discuss:
- 00:07:16 - Why muscle is important for longevity
- 00:14:34 - Is the importance of muscle mass (per se) overstated?
- 00:16:48 - Is the RDA on protein too low?
- 00:19:03 - Minimum vs. optimal protein intake (for athletes)
- 00:19:29 - Why older adults need more protein
- 00:24:52 - Caloric restriction vs. higher protein for aging
- 00:28:04 - What is a catabolic crisis?
- 00:29:40 - Effects of space flight on muscle
- 00:36:16 - Practical tips for protein intake
- 00:39:34 - Protein timing and the anabolic window
- 00:41:27 - Most important factors for hypertrophy
- 00:43:57 - Should we supplement leucine?
- 00:45:46 - Does plant protein support hypertrophy?
- 00:56:30 - Causes of anabolic resistance
- 00:58:22 - What types of exercise and how much?
- 01:06:56 - Protein and rest as tools for recovery
- 01:08:14 - Mechanisms of muscle protein synthesis and breakdown
- 01:08:31 - Does rapamycin inhibit hypertrophy?
- 01:13:07 - What is Dr. Phillips doing to age well?
- 01:15:25 - Hormonal responses to exercise
- 01:17:09 - Sex differences in hypertrophy
- 01:19:38 - Effect of menopause on muscle
- 01:20:03 - Do testosterone boosters work?
- 01:21:56 - Does growth hormone improve muscle?
- 01:26:30 - Androgen replacement therapy (benefits vs. drawbacks)
- 01:31:17 - Mental health benefits of exercise
- 01:31:54 - Anti-catabolic effects of heat
- 01:38:19 - Molecular causes of sarcopenia
- 01:42:35 - Anti-catabolic effects of omega-3
- 01:48:57 - Brain and muscle effects of creatine
Watch this episode on YouTube
Show notes and transcript
Join over 300,000 people and get the latest distilled information straight to your inbox weekly: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/newsletter
Become a FoundMyFitness premium member to get access to exclusive episodes, emails, live Q+A’s with Rhonda and more: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/crowdsponsor