In this interview, Dr. Rhonda Patrick talks to Dr. Frans Kuypers about his lab’s discovery on how the human placenta is a rich source of pluripotent stem cells, and yet the placenta is thrown away after delivery.
In this episode, we discuss...
- (00:00) Introduction
- (04:39) The human placenta as a source of hematopoietic cells
- (11:30) Pluripotent cells can differentiate into any cell in the human body
- (13:03) Public banking of abundant pluripotent placental stem cells
- (18:06) Therapeutic applications of stem cells
- (22:56) Stem cells as part of a physician’s toolkit
- (28:56) Epigenetics of induced pluripotent stem cells
- (34:49) Biogenerators could use young cells to produce growth factors and other chemicals
- (38:36) Transferring blood from young mice into old mice regenerates tissues using GDF11
- (43:32) Opportunities and challenges of banking stem cells
- (52:49) Stem cells could eliminate deaths due to lack of bone marrow donors
- (56:37) The way we fund research isn’t optimal for society
If you’re interested in learning more, you can read the full show notes here.
Join over 300,000 people and get the latest distilled information straight to your inbox weekly: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/newsletter
Become a FoundMyFitness premium member to get access to exclusive episodes, emails, live Q+A’s with Rhonda and more: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/crowdsponsor